Probus Walk 20th. September 2016.
Twelve Walkers set off from Cardross Station along the banks of the Clyde. We turned up a country path, over a railway crossing to the main road opposite the NTS Geilston Gardens and walked down hill to a road leading up the hills above Cardross. Being led by a knowledgeable Guide we found our way by devious means to hidden Nettle- Bound path. Following this path through a dark Forest we came to Kilmahew Castle. The Castle was built c1600 on the grounds of Kilmahew and gifted to the Napier family by the Earl of Lennox.
The name Kilmahew may have come from a Chapel founded by St. Kentigern and named after St. Mathew. The Castle or Tower was four stories high and was occupied by the Napiers until 1800, when it was bought by John Burns DD, minister of the Barony church in Glasgow. He then had Kilmahew House designed by Architect James Smith , Father of Madelaine Smith, but that is another story. After surveying and photographing the Castle we made our way through the impressive grounds to Cardross Golf Club, where we had Lunch by the courtesy of Archie Henderson.
20th. September 2016